There is one thing every longboarding and skateboarding enthusiast knows all too well – the pain of falling. And falling is part of the package, you can’t avoid it. And that’s why you need to invest in the best knee pads you can find. Remember, your knees play one of the biggest roles in your riding, so, they need the best protection you can afford them.
And because your knees are a very sensitive part of your body, you shouldn’t take chances with them, or with substandard knee pads that will not afford you the protection you need. And that’s why even where money is concerned, you should always remember – your knees are worth it.
Right, having said that, how do you know which knee pads are the best knee pads for you? Let me give you a few tips on what to look out for.
Choosing the Best Knee Pads – 3 Important Tips
So you are on the market for knee pads for your new found pastime, that’s great. After all, safety always comes first, especially where high speeds and concrete are involved. So let’s take a look at the features you should look out for in the best knee pads for longboarding
Look for the Right Material
Knee injuries are the most common injuries in longboarding, and that’s because knees are sensitive and also because some of the knee pads longboarders use are not really up to the task of guarding your knees for high impact falls on the pavement.
The best material for longboarding knee pads is a hard plastic for the outer shell. Because all your fun will be on hard concrete, you need a knee pad made of the toughest, yet smoothest material possible. A hard and smooth outer shell will absorb the impact while allowing you to slide over the concrete when you fall. Rough knee pads will snag on the concrete and do more damage than good. This is why you must avoid knee pads with foam padding on the outside.
Speaking of foam, the best knee pads have the inner foam made from synthetic materials that allow for good airflow while at the same time able to absorb impact well. And yes, it has to be comfortable too.
Get the Right Knee Pad Size
Kneepad size is a very important factor to consider if your knees are really important to you. If they are too big or too small, they won’t offer adequate protection for your knees. The perfect fit is tight and snug enough to maintain its position without harming your knee. If you are ordering online, it is not possible to fit the knee pads you want to buy, so how do you choose the right fit? Easy, measure your knee size by stretching out your leg and wrapping a tape measure from the back of your knee to the highest point in front. This will give you the closest thing you have to your knee size and you can use the measurements to compare with the measurements on the knee pads you are looking at and compare your results with the size chart.
Still here? Great! At this point, you have enough information to make the best decision in choosing the best knee pads for yourself. Let’s take a look at 7 of the best-selling knee pads on the market – the ones that have a track record of providing exceptional protection, even on the hardest of concrete.
The Best Knee Pads – A Review of 7 of the Best
After going through this list of top-rated knee pads, I have a firm belief that you will find the perfect pair for your knees. Let’s get rolling then.
187 Killer Pads Fly Knee
No products found.
If you’re looking for robust top-notch knee protection, then these 187 Killer Pro Knee pads are exactly what you are looking for. Made from some of the toughest rubber you can find on knee pads, and coupled with specially formulated dual density foam that not only assists with absorbing impact but also wicking away sweat, these knee pads are worth the price tag.
The 187 killer Pro knee pads are some of the best knee pads as is attested to by the fact that most professional athletes and pro skaters swear by them. These are really the best longboarding knee pads you can invest in, especially since the feature a lock-in replaceable cap, a three-Panel construction for reliable performance, and open back design that makes it super easy to put on and off.
If you have the money to invest in these amazing knee pads (better than spending the money getting medical treatment), I really recommend the 187 Killer Pro knee pads.
TSG Knee Pads
- COMPLETE IMPACT PROTECTION: Special ACF (Arti-lage) impact foam is normally flexible and soft, but when faced with impact, it offers the toughest, hardshell protection. High-density, replaceable PE knee cap offers the utmost toughness and security from impact forces on rough and concrete grounds. Multilayers of ultra-soft EVA foam shields your knees from the shocks and vibrations. Skaters have the extra protection from a compression-molded foam pad with a raised top around the joint area.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Durable and sturdy pads made of hard shells offer complete protection from cuts, scrapes, and strain-related pain. Hardshell construction offers ultimate protection from friction-related injuries during a fall or from impacts caused by different objects on concrete or wooden ramps or from falls from a great height. Knee pads use heavy-duty tear-resistant nylon to withstand the rigors of the game. EVA foam offers stress-crack resistance and low-temperature toughness.
- PRE-SHAPED, HORSESHOE DESIGN: Force V A pad's pre-shaped design conforms to natural body shape and secures well for a comfortable, close fit. Unique horseshoe shape provides ample coverage over the knees. The horseshoe shape keeps the pad in place, without shifting and sliding during swift motions of the game. Ergonomic low-profile design does not interfere much with skating styles, especially crossovers. Force V A offers unique enlarged area coverage for added protection.
- COMFORTABLE TO WEAR: 360° velcro straps offer a tight, yet comfortable fit. Skaters will love the easy on-off capability offered by the versatile open-back design with neoprene butterfly velcro closure. Players can easily put on and take off the pads without removing their shoes. Adjustable bottom velcro straps have concealed easy-snap buckles. The knee pad is reinforced at critical stress points for added protection. The inner surface has a comfortable lining fabric for pleasurable wear.
- CERTIFIED FOR SAFETY STANDARDS: TSG gets it that athletes and professionals do not want any compromise when it comes to safety. TSG safety pads are made with the utmost quality and performance standards to meet the EN 14120:2003+A1:2007 Level 2 standard for the wrist, palm, knee, and elbow protectors. Designed in Switzerland, TSG knee sleeves are tested by an internal team of riders and certified by independent lab testing.
If there is a brand that is making waves in the extreme sports industry, it’s TSG. They have a big product line that spans from helmets to slide gloves. And as for their TSG Force IV knee pads, they are some of the most highly rated pads as long as longboarding is concerned, and that’s all because of taking user feedback seriously and incorporating it in their designs.
The TSG Force IV is made from a very hard plastic cup, Cordura and memory foam for a comfortable fit that unique to you. Featuring an open back design, the TSG Force IV is very easy to put on and off, even if you are wearing shoes. This is definitely one knee pad you need to keep your eye on as it offers maximum comfort as you ride down the street and impeccable protection for when you fall down the street. Although they are advertised as usable without the kneecaps, for longboarding I would suggest you keep your kneecaps on. This superior protection comes at a price, but for the protection they offer, they really are worth it.
JBM Multi Sport Protective Knee Pads
If looking cool on your longboard is on the top of your agenda, then the JBM Multi Sport Protective Gear knee pads are just your type of protecting. Sporting a fierce futuristic design, they do more than look cool though as they are well constructed and really sturdy.
These knee pads are made of very comfortable, breathable polyester that does a great job of wicking away sweat and any moisture they come into contact with. The design is very ergonomic and makes it easier to move than is the case with other knee caps, making it a favorite for many other riding sports other than longboarding.
Apart from appealing to the eyes, the JBM knee pads are also appealing to most pockets. With prices like these there no excuse for not wearing protection for your knees.
Pro-Tec Street Knee Pads
- KNEE PAD SET: Competition quality knee pad set is perfect for skateboarding, biking, inline skating, and a variety of other sports
- PROTECTION FROM FALLS: ABS hard caps, soft EVA cup foam, and comfortable neoprene backing absorb and shrug off high impacts and hard slams
- DURABLE FLEXIBILITY: Stretch lycra interior and ballistic nylon let the wearer maintain flexibility with a low profile and less bulk while still resisting tears in the fabric
- SECURE FIT: Upper and lower support straps are strong and easily adjustable with the attached hook and loop fasteners, so the pads are never too loose or too tight
- SIZE MEDIUM: Set includes 2 knee pads in a size medium and is CE certified to standard CE EN 14120:2003 + A1:2007 level C for riders over 110 lbs. (50 kg)
Another popular brand when it comes to affordable riding gear is Pro-Tec. Not only are they affordable, but Pro-Tec knee pads are also reliable when it comes to keeping you from busting your knee on the pavement. The Pro-Tec Street knee pad has actually been around for a long time and the company has made a lot of improvements to these knee pads in collaboration with their customers.
Because of the drive to make the best knee pads available to everyone, Pro-Tec Street knee pads offer basic but adequate protection for your knees. These low profile (due to fewer materials used) knee pads are made from hard ABS caps stuck to the pad and use little EVA foam, but as said, they do work. The one downside is that they will cause your knees to be sore if you fall a lot due to them having loss foam.
The advantage they have though is that the materials used are all good quality and lightweight. The fabric is a breathable to keep you cool but is also very flexible to allow for greater mobility in order to do some awesome tricks. The other downside is that they are not as easy to put on as the other types as the sleeve design requires you to remove your shoes in order to do so.
If you are looking for knee pads with a low profile design (and low budget) then you will really appreciate the Pro-Tec Street knee pads and their low price range.
Triple Eight Saver Series Kneesaver Knee Pads
- Ergonomically designed knee pads for skateboarding, biking, BMX, roller derby, and roller skating
- Shock absorbing, ventilated EVA foam provides cool air flow and limits perspiration
- High-density, impact-resistant cap securely attached with reinforced rivets
- Wide, reinforced elastic straps with hook and loop connectors ensure a secure fit and easy on-and-off
- Sport type: Snowboarding
Triple Eight is one of the most widely used knee pads on the street and in derbies, and that popularity is truly deserved. Boasting of an ultra-lightweight design, superior ventilation, and amazingly hard and durable caps it’s no wonder many people flock to these knee saving knee pads.
The biggest downside to the Triple Eight is that it’s a one size fits all knee pad. Although built well and in such a way that most people won’t have a problem with fitting, in a few instances, this may lead to poor fit. Fortunately, the design incorporates some wide straps that compensate for the imperfect fit when it happens.
Apart from the superb design, Triple Eight has another trick up its sleeves that makes it so popular – the affordable price tag.
187 Killer Pads Pro Derby Pad
- Designed Specifically for Roller DerbyLow profile and less bulk with high level protection
- Removable foam allows for easy washing
- 187 Killer Pads Lock-In Cap System- Secures and aligns removable cap in correct position
- Rapid F L E X HingeAllows pad to respond freely to full range of motion;straighten or bend leg with little or no resistance
- Fusion Groove ChannelMaintains foam connection to skater's leg and helpseliminate pad slip downs
The 187 Derby Pro is another great product that deserves to be on this list of the best knee pads for longboarding (and skateboarding).
If you are looking for a durable pair of knee pads that are also extremely comfortable, you have found them. The 187 Pro Derby does not skimp when it comes to padding, in fact, it is their generosity with padding that makes this set of knee pads so comfortable and effective in protecting your knees. Featuring interchangeable plates and very secure straps, this pair of knee pads is bound to inspire confidence as you hurtle downhill. And if you are prone to sweating a lot, the fabric on these knee pads does not just wick away sweat effectively but is easier to clean and keeps odors away.
ProTec Street Junior Pads Combo Pack
For the rising star in the house, you need the Protec Junior 3-pack combo of knee, elbow, and wrist pads. With this gear in place, you don’t need to worry about junior as he busts a few moves on his longboard as this combo is well designed and built to handle any fall. Built from very sturdy but comfortable materials, the Pro-Tec Junior knee pads are definitely the best knee pads for kids and are well worth the price tag they come with.
The Best Knee Pads for All the Inevitable Falls Ahead of You
Falls are inevitable when it comes to longboarding, skateboarding, and any other riding sport, and that is why protective gear is very important. With any one of these knee pads in your gear, you are bound to ride with confidence as you know that when the inevitable happens, you are well covered.