No products found.
No products found.
No products found.
Powell-Peralta Byron Essert Carbon Frog
Magneto Longboards Bamboo Longboards
Quest "Totem Longboard Skateboard, 36", Natural, (QT-BTM36C)
Loaded Boards Icarus Bamboo Longboard Skateboard Deck
Kahuna Creations Island Lifestyle Complete Longboard
Powell Peralta Longboards
Founded back in 1978, Powell Peralta is one of the most famous skateboarding companies out there.
But did you know that the company is top-of-the-line when it comes to quality longboards as well? In this joint review, we will look at two of the longboards that Powell Peralta offers for purchase: the Kevin Reimer Samurai and the Byron Essert Frog.
As an important note, all of the design specifications and features of the boards mentioned in this review were provided by the manufacturers and have not be individually tested by us.
Breaking Down the Kevin Reimer Samurai Longboard
No products found.
Powell Peralta’s Kevin Reimer Samurai Longboard is one of the best downhill longboards on the market, having been designed by three-time Downhill World Champion Kevin Reimer.
Made out of tri-axial fiberglass, an extremely light multi-species wooden core, high-strength epoxy glue, and solid polyurethane bumpers, this deck’s lightweight and durable construction makes it perfect for faster starts and response time.
Its gentle radial concave coupled with a 3/8” radial drop ensures that you’re locked into place whether you’re freeriding, drifting, or sliding.
Let’s just say that pretty much no matter how fast you’re going, your feet are staying on that board. The flat top W concave makes the board great for racing since it supports the arch of your foot, which gives you more control and traction while minimizing road feedback.
With extreme torsional stiffness combined with gentle longitudinal flex, the Samurai allows for the use of wheels that are 75 millimeters and over, which is great for better roll speed and roll momentum.
Available for about more than a hundred (depending on where you shop), the Kevin Reimer Samurai comes with a set of downhill wheels, Caliber II trucks, a set of bearings, and grip tape. For an additional price, you can change up any of these components to fit your unique specifications.
Other potential add-ons (if you’re purchasing the product online) include bearing spacers, a skate tool, a cleaning kit, and slide gloves. For convenience’s sake, you can also have your board assembled for you, free of charge.
As far as reviews are concerned, most customers had glowing things to say about the Samurai, praising its slick design and high-speed capabilities.
Breaking Down the Byron Essert Frog Longboard
- Seven plies of rock hard Maple
- Laminated with skate one's proprietary, low-stress airlam presses
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects
An accomplished longboarder in his own right, Byron Essert set out to design a board that could take you deep and fast, and he certainly accomplished that with the Frog.
Like the Samurai, the Frog’s lightweight and durable design (tri-axial fiberglass, epoxy glue, multi-species wooden core, hard cast polyurethane bumpers) makes it great for quicker acceleration as well as maintaining high speeds.
If you’re looking for a quality downhill racing longboard, this may be the one for you.
With a 1/4” drop positioned between the truck holes to make sure that you’re held in place through high speeds and quick turns, the board is also very stiff in both twist and flex for better race response and stability.
The board also features a single kicktail for greater maneuverability as well as CNC’d wheel wells for increased wheel clearance so that you can have the board set up with the fastest downhill wheels or the best freeride wheels.
Just as with the Samurai, the Frog comes equipped with the same complimentary components and board assembly options. At around more than a hundred price tag, the Byron Essert Frog received positive reviews from customers, who loved its design and great stability.
5 Other Longboards on the Market
No review would be complete without a brief look at what the competition has to offer, so here are five other longboards on the market.
1. Atom Drop Deck Long Board
- Full maple laminate deck
- Reverse King Pin (RKP) longboard trucks (245mm axles)
- Wide-Lip 70x51mm super high rebound (SHR) urethane wheels
- ABEC 9 bearings with high-speed lubricant
- High quality 80S grip tape
Equipped with a full maple laminate deck and reverse King Pin longboard trucks with 245-millimeter axles, this longboard from Atom has a sleek look and top-of-the-line design. It rides especially low, ensuring maximum stability, which makes it perfect for even the most treacherous of downhill courses.
Thanks to the board’s special perimeter shape, riders can get nearly 10 inches of leverage into each turn without any pesky wheel bite.
Available for purchase on Amazon for around less than hundred, this longboard received mostly positive reviews, with customers praising it for its affordable price, durability, and easiness to ride.
2. Magneto Longboards
- MADE BY SKATERS All of our boards are designed by skaters and inspired by our location in Southern California, the birthplace of longboarding. Many of our design cues come from the local surf culture and natural materials, we let the simple aesthetics shine on their own. We also prioritize our customer service and want you to be completely stoked with your new board. All messages are replied to within 24 hours and we’ll do our very best to ensure satisfaction and maximum cruising on our boards.
- DESIGNED FOR HIGH SPEED The recessed truck mounts are designed to be parallel to the ground plane which ensures you retain the turning performance of your trucks because if the kingpin angle gets too high turning becomes extremely sensitive and creates instabilities at high speeds. The W-concavity, with 2 "channels" running along the length of the deck, also stabilizes the board at high speeds and when bombing hills.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS The Carbon Fiber Downhill board sets itself apart with the high quality materials used in the composite layup. The deck is made with a 3K carbon fiber weave, Canadian Maple and fiberglass which results in an extremely efficient overall strength to weight ratio that makes the board stable at high speeds. The natural damping characteristics of the carbon fiber and fiberglass really help to reduce road noise and vibrations.
- W-CONCAVITY The deck features a very unique W-Concavity with 2 "channels" running along the length of the deck. There is a subtle hump in between the channels which conforms to the arch in your foot. This allows you to really lock your feet into the deck while bombing hills. The W-Concavity also naturally stiffens the deck which makes for a super stable ride.
- RECESSED TRUCK MOUNTS The deck is top mounted to the deck in designed flat recesses that effectively lower your center of gravity while riding. This increases sliding performance by more effectively translating lateral forces into sliding shear under the contact patch of the wheels. The recesses are designed to be parallel to the ground plane which ensures you retain the turning performance of your trucks.
Strong, flexible, and long-lasting, Magneto’s bamboo longboard deck is 38.5” by 9”, which not only gives the board great grab-and-go capabilities, but also makes it perfect for easier maneuverability and for nailing those tight turns.
The board’s drop through truck design gives riders a lower center of gravity, leading to better stability and a smoother ride.
With about an affordable price tag, this longboard received mostly positive reviews, with customers praising the board’s stability and eye-catching design.
3. Quest Totem Longboard
- 7 ply all cold Climate Hardwood Maple & bamboo deck
- Durable 65x51mm 80a PU wheels
- Rugged & lightweight Black 6 inch aluminum trucks
- Smooth riding and responsive reverse kingpin trucks
- Precision ABEC 7 bearings and hollow 4mm riser
Available in black for an incredibly discounted price of around bit more cheaper, this 44” longboard’s deck is made out of artisan bamboo and multi-ply hardwood maple, making it incredibly flexible. The eye-catching deck design and graphics don’t hurt either.
This longboard also comes with ABEC 7 rated speed bearings and 7-inch aluminum trucks.
Customers had very good things to say about Quest’s longboard, and they commended the board’s sturdiness, affordability, great design, and smooth riding capabilities.
4. Loaded Boards Icarus Bamboo Longboard
- VERSATILE CARVING MACHINE – The Loaded Icarus is a performance longboard created for snowboard-style carving, pumping, freeride, freestyle, and urban commuting / alternative transportation.
- UTILITARIAN DESIGN – Drop-through truck mounting for stability and easier pushing. Cambered profile and variable edge concave create a lively and precise riding experience. Cutouts combine with flared wheel wells to maximize clearance for big wheels and allow deep carves and tight turns. Minimal nose and tail kicks help navigate city streets and open the door for freestyle trickery.
- STRONG, LIGHT, & DAMP – Snowboard-inspired composite construction combines vertically laminated bamboo and fiberglass for a durable, lightweight, and lively ride. Cork bottom layer provides vibration damping.
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE FLEX – Bamboo and fiberglass provide lively and energetic flex perfect for hard carving and pumping. Flex 1 is ideal for heavier riders or aggressive tricksters seeking more stiffness and stability, while flex 2 is the best choice for lighter riders or those looking for a more responsive board.
When it comes to versatility, this board is at the top of its class. You can use it for carving, freestyling, freeriding, or simply for urban transportation
Both durable and lightweight, the board’s construction is snowboard-inspired, as fiberglass and vertically laminated bamboo combines to form a gorgeous composite deck. The added cork board bottom layer also delivers vibration damping.
The drop through truck mounting makes for simpler pushing and added stability, while the variable edge concave and the cambered profile adds greater maneuverability and precision to your riding experience.
If you’re looking to pull off some awesome freestyle tricks, the nose and tail kicks are perfect for that as well as for navigating through busy city streets, not to mention that the flared wheel wheels allow for larger-sized wheels that are great for those tight turns.
Though it’s at the pricier side of the spectrum , customers still praised it for its high quality.
5. Kahuna Creations Lifestyle Complete Longboard
If you’re looking for a longboard with a vibrant design that will make you feel like you’re cruising through a beach town somewhere, look no further than the longboards offered by Kahuna Creations.
Available for around an affordable price, this board has deck dimensions of 47” by 10” and is made from Canadian maple 7 ply with a silicon sand clear grip. Kahuna Creations has a number of master artists that have worked on their board designs, so you know that you’re getting the best aesthetic-wise when it comes to their boards.
It also doesn’t hurt that the board has a taco concave that flattens out on the tail for ultimate control.
Customer reviews for this board were mostly positive.
What to Consider When Choosing the Right Longboard for You
There are a number of things that you need to consider before choosing the right longboard for you.
For one, you should consider the ultimate purpose of the longboard. Are you getting it for downhill racing? Are you looking to pull off sweet tricks? Or, are you just using it as an alternate way to get from point A to point B?
What you see yourself using a longboard for the most will determine what sort of features you should look for in a board.
You should also consider the particular longboard brand. Brands such as Powell Peralta are mainstays in the boarding community, but there are also more niche brands, known for their sleek designs and customized specifications, that may catch your eye as well.
Brand loyalty is important to some people, particularly when it comes to reliability and customer service, but branching out into lesser known brands doesn’t hurt either.
Finally, you need to consider your budget.
Longboarding can be a fairly expensive undertaking, especially if you are looking at some of the most intricately designed decks and are interested in buying higher quality add-ons, such as wheels and trucks. There is a wide range of prices when it comes to longboards, so be sure to shop around to find the best deals for you.
The Bottom Line on the Powell Peralta Longboards
Powell Peralta offers two of the highest-quality longboards on the market in the Kevin Reimer Samurai and the Byron Essert Frog.
Both boards are known for their versatility, durability, sleek design, and smooth ride capabilities. It doesn’t hurt that both boards also have the names of big-name longboarders attached to them as well.
That being said, both longboards are available in fairly limited stock. For example, you won’t be able to find either on sites like Amazon, where they have some more affordable longboards for sale.
So if price or availability is a concern for you, then maybe consider going with a different board.
But, if you are a big fan of the Power Peralta brand and are looking to put some serious wear and tear into a longboard, then you can’t go wrong with either the Samurai or the Frog.